Nice (old) article on the Guardian about Paul Graham's Photography.
It made me think again of how i see photography and many art forms.. it's the the unspoken, the silent poetry, the atmosphere that usually hits you.
Here are some key bits that are interesting for me:
"Life's moments might come at us heedless, these vignettes suggest, but they nonetheless contain a quiet, often overlooked, poetry."
Paul Graham: "it has steadily become less important to me that the photographs are about something in the most obvious way. I am interested in more elusive and nebulous subject matter. The photography I most respect pulls something out of the ether of nothingness… you can't sum up the results in a single line. In a way, 'a shimmer of possibility' is really about these nothing moments in life."
"highlighting the strange, normalised reality of a place that was anything but normal."
" Paul Graham's willingness to take risks in his work, and not to shy from making pictures that ask awkward questions about how we see – and interpret – the world through photography. "Sometimes, when I go out with a camera, I don't have a plan or even know what it is I am looking for," he says, in conclusion. "But I do go out every time and question how we make photographs of the world. It's the same question that photographers have always asked: how is this world? And, what are the new ways to find that out?" "
No comments:
Post a Comment